Often times we lay awake thinking of the "Shoulda", "Coulda", "Woulda's" that have plagued our day. I'm guilty of what's called Drift analysis = analyzing your day, week, or a specific event when one should be DRIFTING asleep.
You go and go and are so pre-occupied with tasks at work, keeping the kids from killing each other, and coaching your husband into asking for directions after the 5th wrong turn all of which keeps your direct attention at bay...that is until you lay your pretty little head down for bed.
What's meant to be a relaxing and natural end to your day turns into a youtube remix played in your head consisting of nasty things that were said to you earlier in the day, snubs from co-workers, and a work load that you wish you had more energy and time to perfect. Well...I don't know about you but I am absolutely tired of sweating out my good weave worrying about things that I can't control....or don't need to control if afforded the opportunity.
As Silly as this may sound, I have begun developing "mantra's" or sayings that can be repeated over and over again that speak life into a situation that may present as disheartening or bleak. We've seen this in childhood stories like the little engine that could...that's right "I think I can, I think I can" and even the Wizard of Oz "there's no place like home" *clicks heels*. Both stories shed insight on the power of mind over matter...If you don't mind it...It doesn't matter.
Here are a few mantra's that I repeat when pesky thoughts of doubt try to encroach on my slumber:
"Success is the best revenge"
"The ground is no place for a champion"
"You've done enough, so enough of dwelling on that"
"People throw rocks at things that shine"
Bonus:(what I taught my daughter to repeat) "I am beautiful, I am happy, I am blessed"
Who cares if it's silly, there's nothing like piece of mind...*Night, Night*:)
- I blog because I'm not a good rapper.
- My favorite type(s) of food are Japanese and Thai.
- I married my high school sweetheart.
- I come from a large family.
- My favorite colors are pink, tiffany blue and glittered gold.
- I'm absolutely OBSESSED with anything monogramed!
- I have the cutest little human for a daughter.
- I majored in psychology.
- I've worked as a freelance writer/poet.
- I had the pleasure of living in Ghana, West Africa where I studied social change.
- I'm a Southern Belle ♥
- I'm addicted to pinterest.
- My favorite wine is Autumn Blush by Chateu Elan.
- I can crochet....yep at Christmas I'm all like, "you get a scarf, you get a scarf" *In my Oprah voice*.
- I can sit and watch documentaries for hours...especially about the holocaust/WWII
- I protect children for a living...one of the most rewarding jobs.
- My favorite shows are New Girl, Mindy Project, Ru Pauls drag race and Moesha re-runs.
- My favorite female artist(s) are Goapelle and Mary J. Blige and my favorite male artist(s) are the Weeknd and Kwabs.
- I secretly want Oprah, Gail or Iyanla Vanzant to adopt me.
- My spirit animal is Juicy J.